Your congregation is invited!
The Thriving Faith Communities Initiative invites Indianapolis area congregations to join together in support of the Thrive Indianapolis Plan by committing to reduce energy consumption by at least 25 percent over the next three years, and to encourage their congregants to do the same.
About the Thrive Indianapolis Plan
With the input and help of many people and organizations, the city of Indianapolis has developed a plan to ensure the future success of the city. It is called the Thrive Indianapolis Plan. Thrive Indianapolis is the first actionable plan of its kind in our city’s history, bringing together city agencies, community partners and residents to chart a course for an Indianapolis that is equitable, healthier and prepared for the challenges of the 21st century. The Thrive Indianapolis Plan has two primary goals related to climate change:
- Achieve net zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050.
- Increase community resilience by prioritizing equity in policy, planning and project implementation.
The Thrive Indianapolis Plan says that 2/3 of the CO2 come from buildings and 1/3 from transportation. The goal is to be carbon neutral by 2050 and to reduce CO2 emissions from buildings by 20 percent of the 2016 base year consumption by 2025. You can learn more about the Thrive Indianapolis Plan at: www.thriveindianapolis.com
You can learn more about how this program came about from our board chair in this blog post.
What would it mean for my congregation to participate in Thriving Faith Communities?
- Develop, and live into, faith-based values around care for creation
- Significantly reduce utility bills, freeing funds for mission and ministry
- Engage people in your congregation with a passion for the environment in new and exciting ways
- Participate in a community-wide effort to be a resilient and sustainable community
- Reduce carbon emissions in the city of Indianapolis, improving the public health and the health of the planet
- Develop relationships with other people and congregations engaged in similar work.
- Form a dedicated project team
- Attend Energy Steward and Using Energy Prudently training events
- Participate in free energy audit by CLEAResult
- Sign up for Energy Steward benchmarking energy tracking service for three years. Cost is $200/year. Financial assistance may be available.
- Participate in the program for at least three years with the goal of reducing energy consumption by at least 25 percent over base year
- Share ten percent (tithing savings) of utility cost savings with H-IPL for three years
- Engage congregants in energy savings in their homes.
Thriving Faith Communities, a program of Hoosier IPL, will:
- Provide all education events
- Provide a coach for your team
- Answer questions and provide encouragement
- Provide periodic communications and publicity about the efforts of your cohort group
- Provide honors for your achievements
OR – Fill out the information below and get started today!