Indiana H-IPL Advocacy Initiatives
2018 H-IPL Endorsed Public Policy Positions and Advocacy Initiatives
Indiana Advocacy Initiatives
- Participating with Energy Foundation-led coalition to develop an Indiana strategic advocacy plan for 2018 and 2019.
- Initiating organizing actions to urge closure of the Indianapolis Power and Light’s coal-fired, Petersburg Generating Station and Indiana-Michigan Power’s Rockport Generating Station.
- Oppose a Coal-to-Diesel plant proposal in Southern Indiana. On July 9, 2018 the H-IPL Board endorsed the movement “No C2D” https://www.noc2d.com/.
- Oppose Vectren’s proposed gas plant in Evansville.
- Successfully opposed the Indianapolis Power and Light proposed rate hike in 2018.
- Opposed Indiana Michigan Power rate hike in 2018.
Indiana Residential Building CodeSince 40% of the energy generated in the US is consumed by residential, commercial and institutional buildings, it makes sense to make new buildings, most of which will last for at least 50 years, as energy efficient as possible. Decreasing energy usage in buildings also helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reduces global warming.Indiana is in the process of updating its residential building code, and one chapter (chapter 11) is devoted to energy efficiency. Adopting this code will bring Indiana’s energy efficiency requirements for new construction up to 2018 standards (we are currently using outdated code requirements from 2009).
- Net Metering. Supporting state legislation to repeal the net metering legislation passed in 2017.
- Mandatory Renewable Portfolio (RPS) for Indiana. On July 9, 2018 the H-IPL Board endorsed the Citizen’s Climate Lobby (CCL) and other organizations efforts to secure a mandatory renewable portfolio standard in Indiana.
- Many states have set a mandatory RPS’s that establish caps or goal for utilities to provide a minimum amount of renewable energy. RPS’s are regulatory mandates
to increase production of energy from renewable sources such as wind, solar, biomass and other alternatives to fossil and nuclear electric generation. They are also known as renewable electricity standards. (NREL.gov)
- Carbon Tax and Dividend Bill. In 2017 the H-IPL Board endorsed the CCL crafted federal Carbon Tax and Dividend bill.
- S. Congressional Climate Solutions Caucus. On July 9, 2018 the H-IPL board endorsed the U.S. House of Representatives Climate Solutions Caucus initiative as developed by CCL and supported by the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL)
- House Caucuses are comprised of Representatives with an interest in specific issues. The CCL founded the Climate Solutions Caucus in 2016. It is designed to sign up two House members at a time, one Democrat and one Republican, to assure bipartisan balance and policy options. The Caucus has already been active on several issues 1) assuring that the Pentagon will consider climate change science and projections in its national security planning, 2) supported a carbon tax and dividend bill entitled “Health Climate and Family Security Act of 2018, and 3) supported the “Challenges and Prizes for Climate Act of 2018” to spur innovation in areas needed to combat climate change. There are presently 78 members of the Caucus.